LAFAYETTE, La. (KLFY)- A 17-month investigation led to the arrests of several suspects allegedly involved in prostitution and possible human trafficking in and around the city of Lafayette Parish.
The investigation began after several complaints from businesses about possible illegal activity.
Detectives coordinated with the 15th Judicial District in collecting evidence from “various massage parlor locations” in the city and in Lafayette Parish, Lafayette Parish Sheriff Mark Garber said.
“Last night, during the investigation, the first phase of it ended with the serving of simultaneous search warrants at eight locations,” Garber said.
Five of those locations were business locations within the city of Lafayette, the sheriff said.
Three residential locations were also investigated, Garber said. As a result of the search by detectives, eight suspects were arrested. Investigators also seized $50,000 cash, five vehicles and a “substantial amount of jewelry and business goods,” which appear to proceeds from illegal activity, Garber said.
As a result of the investigation, nine people were arrested:
- Xiaoping Xu – Prostitution by massage (2 counts)
- Lianxiu Li – Prostitution by massage (2 counts) -Zhao Chen – Pandering, Keeping a Disorderly Place, operating a Place of Prostitution
- Pingjuan Xia – pandering (2 counts)
- Xufang Ou – pandering (4 counts) , Human Trafficking –
- Renjie Jang – pandering (2 counts), Operating a Place of Prostitution –
- Houqin Tang – pandering, Keeping a Disorderly Place, Operating a Place of Prostitution –
- Yuan Yuan Huang – prostitution by massage (2 counts) –
- Chang Su – Operating a Place of Prostitution, Pandering
Five businesses in the city of Lafayette were a part of the investigation:
- Golden Spa – 117 Industrial Pkwy
- Angel Massage – 1007 Kaliste Saloom Rd
- AA+ Massage – 292 Ridge Road Suite 6A
- Asian Spa – 1512 Ambassador Caffery Suite 1
- Harmony Zen Spa – 2848 Verot School Road Suite 1
The investigation is ongoing.