Lafayette home of musician Major Handy destroyed in fire, along with instruments, belongings

Local

(Photo: LFD)

Frances Ayres Handy was about to step into the shower when she saw a flash in the living room out of the corner of her eye Saturday morning. Within minutes, her St. Charles Street home was in flames and she found herself fleeing to safety with the help of neighbors.

A drone battery charging on the sofa sparked the blaze. As flames erupted over the couch, Handy said, she was convinced she could put out the growing fire but wasn’t able to beat out the flames.

With help from some neighbors, she would ultimately escape with mostly minor burns and singed eyebrows and hair.

To read full story read: Home of Musician Major Handy destroyed in fire

A GoFundMe has been established to help the Handy family.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Local News

More Local

Sidebar