Family escapes fire in Maurice, in need of donations

Local

MAURICE, La. (KLFY)- A family of four lost everything after an overnight fire in Maurice. 

According to Chief Matthew Trahan of the Maurice Volunteer Fire Department, crews were called to a neighborhood off Clay Road just before 11 p.m.

The fire appeared to have started on the patio and escalated in the attic, Trahan said.

The father discovered the fire when he went into his son’s room.

He was able to get his little boy out just in time, Trahan said. He could feel the heat coming from the ceiling. 

No one was seriously injured, but the family lost everything.

They got out with just the pickup truck and the clothes on their backs, the chief said. They weren’t even able to get their cell phones.

One firefighter was sent to the hospital with minor injuries. It took crews from several departments about two hours to extinguish the fire. Unfortunately, the house was completely destroyed. 

Assisting departments included Maurice, Indian Bayou, Meaux-Nunez,  Abbeville, Milton, Erath, and Kaplan fire departments. 

Acadian Ambulance, Maurice Police and Vermilion Parish Sheriff’s Office also assisted, Trahan added.

The mother is a first grade teacher at Cecil Picard Elementary, which has established a donation drive.

Safe and Sound Storage in Maurice is also taking donations. 

If anyone would like to help, the following clothing sizes are needed: 

  • School Uniforms/clothes
  • Boy size 5/6 shoe size 11
  • Girl size 4/5 shoe size 9/10.
  • Boy adult Med shirts, shorts adult med 14/16 husky. Shoe size 8
  • Women’s: Size Medium shirts, size 8 pants, small dresses. Size 8 shoes. 
  • Men’s: x-lg shirts

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Local News

More Local

Facebook