Crews were called to a reported house fire in a north Lafayette neighborhood.
According to Fire Department Spokesperson Alton Trahan, the fire was reported in the 800 block of 16th Street around 7:00 p.m.
Trahan said a neighbor alerted authorities after noticing heavy flames coming from the home.
He said when firefighters arrived they found the rear of the dwelling fully engulfed.
It has been determined that the fire originated in the bedroom of the apartment and was started in the area of a window air conditioning unit.
The fire has been ruled accidental. The cause was ruled electrical failure.
The occupant was able to escape without harm, Trahan said.