LAFAYETTE, La. (KLFY) – Around 4:00 p.m., Lafayette firefighters responded to 519 South Pierce Street, Uptown Loft apartments, for a report of smoke coming from a trash chute. At the same time, a sprinkler alarm activation was called in from the alarm monitoring company.

When firefighters arrived on the scene, a light smoke was coming from the room containing a trash compactor. Occupants were evacuated due to safety concerns.

Once firefighters entered the room they discovered smoke coming from a metal trash dumpster.

The sprinkler head in the room had activated suppressing the fire.

The trash dumpster was removed from the room by firefighters to completely extinguish the threat.

The building did not sustain any fire damage, and once the scene was considered safe, occupants were allowed back into the building.

Firefighters believe the cause of the fire was likely due to an improperly discarded smoking material in an occupant’s trash.

The fire was ruled as an accident.