Cheraw man dies after firework explodes in his hands

News
fireworks_67426-842137440

CHERAW, SC (WBTW) -A Cheraw man died after a firework exploded in his hands, hitting him in the chest, police confirm.

A press release from Cheraw Police Chief Keith Thomas says officers were called to the Dizzy Gillespie apartment complex around 9:50 p.m. Wednesday night for a call that a man had been hit in the upper torso with fireworks.

Officers on scene found a woman performing CPR on the victim. EMS immediately took over and transported the man to McLeod Health Cheraw.

Chief Thomas says the victim, identified as 24-year-old M.C. Gallion III, was holding a cylinder tube in his hands in an attempt to discharge an aerial type firework. The fireworks exploded, hitting Gallion in the chest.

Gallion died at the hospital, Chief Thomas confirms. 

In the time of handling firework you never lean over lit fireworks when lighting the fuse, if you find unexploded firework leave them on the ground, keep a bucket of water or a garden hose nearby in case of extremely heat or fire. Never point nor throw fireworks at another person and finally light the firework one at time, them move away quickly following this tips can help you have a save celebration with fireworks.   

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Local News

More Local

Trending Stories

Sidebar