According to the City of Kannapolis, Sgt. Dot Cole is the oldest living Marine.
She joined the Marine Corps during World War II in 1943.
Sgt. Cole completed her training at Camp Lejeune and was then stationed at Quantico. City officials say she primarily served in an administrative role.
Last month, another North Carolina woman celebrated a monumental birthday. Hester Ford turned 116, making her the oldest living person in the United States.
GET THE LATEST HEADLINES FROM FOX8.COM:
- Mamou PD: Viral social media video paints false narrative of officer-involved incident
- Mosquito spray services continue with the use of Air Force C-130H
- St. Mary Parish prepares for Zeta to make landfall
- Eunice High closes temporarily after rise in COVID-19 cases among staff members
- Governor Edwards vetoes bill aimed at limiting his ability to impose coronavirus restrictions