(KLFY) The U.S. Navy has announced that it has called off its search and rescue efforts for a 20-year-old sailor who reportedly fell overboard last week from the USS Theodore Roosevelt.
According to a press statement, The Navy has declared the man deceased after ending the effort at sunset Saturday.
The search started Thursday morning after a lookout spotted what appeared to be a person in the water, a statement from the San Diego-based 3rd Fleet said.
Three helicopters and a boat were launched in response, and one sailor was unaccounted for during a command-wide muster, the statement said.
The family identified the missing sailor as Aviation Ordnanceman Airman Apprentice Ethan Goolsby of San Antonio, Texas.
“The loss of our Sailor is felt deeply by all on board,” said Capt. Eric Anduze, commanding officer of Theodore Roosevelt.
“The entire Theodore Roosevelt team sends our deepest condolences to the family of our missing shipmate.”
The sailor’s family was notified before the search stopped, according to the Navy.