UPDATE April 25: The Fourth Circuit Court of Appeal has sided with the judge presiding over the Linda Frickey case.
The judge has reset the trial date after new evidence was admitted. A statement from the family reads:
“The family is saddened by the date of the court, but we are willing to go to court whenever we need to. We will get justice for Linda and in sprit, justice for all victims. The evidence and criminals for this case will always be the same and will not change. We will not let the delay of trial stop us from justice.”
NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) — A new trial date has been set for the four teenagers accused of dragging an elderly woman to her death during a New Orleans carjacking last year.
On Wednesday, a trial judge the date for March 22, 2024 — only days from what will be the two-year anniversary of the murder of 73-year-old Linda Frickey. On March 21, 2022, Frickey was fatally dismembered during a carjacking in Mid-City.
This comes after a New Orleans judge denied a joint continuance regarding the use of DNA evidence less than a week after jury selection was set to begin. The case was later appealed, then went to the Louisiana Supreme Court.
With justice comes peace for the Frickey family, who say they aren’t going to stop fighting for 73-year old Linda Frickey, who was brutally killed during a carjacking in Mid City last year.
“We need justice faster. The criminals get what they want,” Jinny Lynn Griffin, Frickey’s sister said.
“I was very angry when I first found out and I was like you got to be kidding me,” Griffin said.
In regards to the DNA evidence, Griffin said, “Why does evidence have to take another 11 months is beyond me, what’s going to change, the evidence won’t change, it will always be the same evidence.
Despite the case being delayed, legal experts tell WGNO this gives both the prosecution and the defense time to thoroughly assess the DNA and fingerprint evidence.
The four teenagers accused of Frickey’s murder are:
- Mar’Quel Curtis
- John Honore
- Briniyah Bake
- Lanyra Theophile