BATON ROUGE, La. (WAFB) – The owner of a Baton Rouge-based company, who backed out of a contract last week to remove Confederate monuments from New Orleans, received a horrible wake up call Tuesday morning, saying his prized vehicle had been set on fire and destroyed.
This comes after the owner, his family and employees received death threats because of the contract with the city of New Orleans.
The owner of the company, David Mahler, received a call around 1 a.m. saying that his 2014 Lamborghini Huracan, worth an estimated $200,000, had been set on fire and destroyed. The vehicle was parked in the parking lot of his business, H&O Investments, LLC.
The St. George Fire Department was called to the vehicle fire at 12:55 a.m.
The vehicle is named the “Psycho Hurricane.”
“It’s quite known throughout the car community for breaking the Internet with his insane wrap,” said Kien Huynh, who is the Facebook Administrator for the Cars & Coffee Biloxi branch.
Huynh also said, “[Mahler] is a great and awesome guy who loves cars. He is not the type to frown on others, but will lift those that are in need of a hand.”
“Although we are a branch located in Biloxi, MS, we want to show that the entire community itself is here to support him,” said Huynh.
Mahler’s wife also took to Facebook saying:
I normally do not put personal situations on Facebook but something is compelling me to not stay silent on this. We received this call at 1am this morning. I’m sure most of you can tell that these are the remnants of my husbands prized car. This is just a possession and can always be replaced but someone has something to say to us. Any of you that know my husband, knows that he would not only give you the shirt off his back but buy you your own wardrobe. I don’t know if this has anything to do with a job he was recently CONTRACTED to do and decided not to take or if there is another reason but it makes me sad that someone would go this far. The hate in this would is too thick so I’ll be the bigger person and only spread love back. This has to stop!! God bless who ever decided to do this.
Lawyers for H&O Investments sent a letter to the City of New Orleans last week explaining that the owner of the company was not only threatened at his work, but at his home too.
H&O’s decision to pull out comes in the midst of a preservation effort by organizations that are having a federal judge hear arguments in favor of keeping the confederate monuments standing in New Orleans.