Work continues on Nation Road Bridge in Rayne

Local

RAYNE, La. (KLFY) – A section of Nation Road in Rayne is currently closed. The DOTD is building a new bridge over the Coulee Duralde. 

“We’re going to come in and build a brand new concrete bridge and so it’s going to have a lifespan of 30 to 50 years, easily, and probably longer,” said Bill Oliver, the DOTD District Administrator.

Heavy equipment is being used to drive bridge piles into the ground. Crews have already cleared out some land, relocated utilities and removed the old bridge.

Crews began working on the $1.1 million bridge project in May. The bridge is owned by Acadia Parish. The work is being done as part of the DOTD’s off-system bridge program.

“Generally as parish bridges, those are timber bridges so they get to the point where there’s deterioration of the wood, those bridges are getting very old for the type of bridge it is,” Oliver said.

The federal government is paying for 80 percent of the work. The state is covering the remaining 20 percent.

Drivers can use Grand Prairie Highway LA 98, Coin Road and Church Point Highway LA 35 as detour routes. The DOTD said the project should be finished in February 2019.
 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Local News

More Local

Trending Stories

Sidebar