LAFAYETTE, La. (The Advertiser)- A trial date has been re-scheduled for the man charged with killing a Lafayette woman last year.
Malik Davis is now set to face a felony trial starting Aug. 20 on one count of second-degree murder, according to court documents. He has pleaded not guilty.
The trial was originally slated to start May 7, but was delayed.
Authorities have said they believe Davis killed Jacquelyn “Daisy Lynn” Landry sometime after she disappeared in late May 2017. Police have released very few details about what resulted in the murder charge.
Landry’s body has never been found, despite repeated searches by local volunteers and search-and-rescue groups.
Davis has had minimal court hearings or appearances since his arrest and indictment last year. He has remained in the Lafayette Parish Correctional Center on a $250,000 bond on the murder charge.
Jail records show Davis is also being held on a $20,000 bond on a simple robbery charge and a $15,000 bond on a drug charge.
A spokesman for the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office said the agency has turned over its investigative documents to the 15th Judicial District Attorney’s Office. The district attorney’s office did not respond to messages about the case.
Davis’ attorney is public defender Clay LeJeune. He did not respond to inquiries about the case.
On a Facebook page, family members wrote that Landry would have turned 19 on March 24.
“I promise we will get justice. What happened to you should not have happened,” Landry’s mother wrote in an April 21 public post on the page. “You did not deserve to have your life taken from you. You would have given yourself for anyone. But never should this have happened. You will always be remembered for the sweet, giving, selfless person you were