IBERIA PARISH, La. (KLFY)- UPDATE: The Abbeville Police Department has released new information on a high-speed chase that began in Vermilion Parish and ended with gunfire and an arrest in New Iberia.

At about 6:15 p.m. on Tuesday, the APD received information concerning a suspect pointing a handgun at another person.

The suspect fled the scene leading law enforcement in a pursuit, which continued to New Iberia.

The APD said it is not releasing any information regarding the investigation of the events which occurred in New Iberia.

The incident began in the middle of Peace Street in Abbeville where the suspect, Ryan Hargrave, became aggressive toward a passing driver.

“The suspect then began following the victim, and the victim later pulled off of the roadway onto a parking lot and stopped his vehicle,” APD spokesperson Lt. Jonathan Touchet. “The suspect followed the victim into the parking lot and exited his vehicle. The suspect approached the victim’s vehicle while wearing a ballistic vest with a handgun tucked into the front of the vest. “

The suspect was yelling and cursing at the victim when officers arrived, authorities said. Responding law enforcement “then observed the suspect pointing the handgun at the victim.”

Hargrave then led agencies on a pursuit. Along with charges from other agencies, in Abbeville, Hargrave faces the following:

  • Threatening a Public Official
  • Aggravated Flight from an Officer
  • Unlawful Use of Body Armor
  • Aggravated Assault with a Firearm

ORIGINAL: The New Iberia Police Department says an investigation is underway following an officer-involved shooting Tuesday.

Authorities say an incident started in Vermilion Parish which led to a police pursuit. Around 6:15 p.m., New Iberia officers were called to the area of Santa Clara near Daspit Elementary School in response to an active pursuit of a suspect.

Ryan Hargrave (IPSO)

Captain John Babin said while in pursuit of the suspect, shots were fired. He said police then returned fire injuring the suspect.

The investigation has now been taken over by Louisiana State Police, Babin said.