Here are some of today’s headlines you should know before heading out the door:
- Firefighters are on the scene of a residential fire. The home is located on Hollier Road in Duson. We have a crew en route to the scene and will bring you more information on this developing story throughout the morning.
- This past weekend produced the lowest first day of early voting turnout ever in Louisiana. Officials believe the holidays and other events were a factor. Early voting ends Saturday, December 1st.
- A list of the 20 safest cities has been released by the company called Safewise. Scott ranks 2nd in terms of having a low violent crime rate first on the list is the town of Patterson. To read the full report click here.
- Today is “Giving Tuesday.” The day is dedicated to encouraging people to contribute money or time to charities, causes, and organizations.
- Many General Motors employees face an uncertain future following news that the auto company plans to close 5 plants and cut close to 14,000 workers. This is due to a massive restructuring.
- NASA engineers celebrated after their Insight lander touched down on Mars Monday. The lander will be digging deep into the red planet’s core to learn if Mars might be safe for humans.
- With one extra week to shop because Thanksgiving came early this year, officials are optimistic this will bring in a ton of revenue for the local economy in Lafayette Parish, as all local retailers are busy trying to prepare for the holiday rush.
- Scammers are targeting consumers by trying to hack into personal emails, even threatening the use of ransomware. Con-artists are now pulling information from the dark web to target consumers.
- According to Gasbuddy.com, Lafayette has the 4th lowest gas prices in the country this week. The average price is a little over $2 a gallon. And the price is expected to get lower in the coming weeks.