Here are some of today’s headlines you should know before heading out the door:
- St. Martinville Police are searching for Daylon ‘Ko Ko’ Alexander. He is wanted for the shooting death of a St. Martinville teenager. Authorities are asking the public to help find him.
- A Youngsville man is being charged for allegedly causing the crash that claimed the lives of a pregnant woman and her one year old son. The crash happened Tuesday night.
- St. Landry Parish schools begin class today. Only minor changes like added handbooks are expected in each school heading into the year.
- Some grade changes were made in Iberia Parish before the start of this school year Jeanerette Elementary School is now pre-kindergarten through second grade. And St. Charles Elementary School is grades 3-6. The principal at Jeanerette Elementary says they are now able to better focus on early development education.
- Over 9,000 students reported back to school in Acadia Parish yesterday. Superintendent Scott Richard had a goal of visiting the 26 school sites.
- Plantation Elementary will now turn into Corporal Michael Middlebrook Elementary School after the Lafayette Parish School Board voted unanimously to rename it Wednesday night, after the fallen Lafayette Police Officer.
- Recent reports referenced the Transportation Security Agency or TSA may be considering cutting screenings at smaller airports. Passengers had mixed reviews on the idea. TSA has since released a statement saying they have no intention of dropping screening at smaller airports. The idea stemmed from a worst case scenario exercise for the 2020 budget.
- Scattered rain is possible for Acadiana today. Skies will be partly sunny with a high in the low 90’s along with a scattered rain chance, mainly during the afternoon and evening.