Man has third degree burns from vape pen explosion

Local

A Lafayette man is warning the public about a commonly used item; his vape pen.  His pen is causing him two surgeries after an emergency trip to the hospital.

John Breaux, a father of four girls warns, “the best thing is not to smoke, not vape, just not mess with anything.”

Breaux was eating at a local waffle house when the battery of his vape pen caused it to explode in his pocket.  He said, “I was sitting inside waiting for my food all of a sudden my battery exploded out. “

Before the battery popped out he explains he heard a pop.

“Then I felt some heat, I looked down, my pants were torn, I reached down because I figured it was my vape, but then it burned my hand.”

The are the pants Breaux was wearing are completely ripped and charred.   The flames have caused third degree burns.  Breaux warns, the vape wasn’t even on, “Because its off, doesn’t mean something cant happen, but obviously anything can happen, and to anyone.”

John Breaux is currently a lung cancer patient in remission.  He started vaping after he was diagnosed with.  He told KLFY since the explosion, he no longer smokes… nor vapes.  

Copyright 2022 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Local News

More Local

Trending Stories

Sidebar