LAFAYETTE, La. (KLFY) – As Lafayette Parish prepares to celebrate Independence Day, Lafayette Consolidated Government reminds citizens of local fireworks laws and regulations and urges all to practice responsible fireworks handling.
In Lafayette Parish, the possession, use, handling, sales or the ignition of any fireworks within a city’s limits is strictly prohibited. Fireworks are permissible in the unincorporated areas of the parish only.
All other local municipalities have their own respective fireworks laws and regulations. Minors under the age of 18 are prohibited from purchasing, possessing, handling or setting off fireworks.
Fireworks may be used, set off, and shot only in unincorporated areas of Lafayette Parish from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. starting June 25 through July 5 every day except on July 4, which extends to 1 a.m. July 5.
Though they are fun and exciting, fireworks can also be dangerous when mishandled. Fireworks can cause injuries, particularly burns, and start unintended fires. Citizens should take special care to follow all safety measures when handling fireworks.
“Safety is our concern. We want Lafayette residents to enjoy a safe holiday. In doing so, we encourage citizens to practice all safety precautions when using fireworks,” said Lafayette Fire Department Public Information Officer Alton Trahan.
Tips for safe celebrations with fireworks are as follows:
- Obey all local laws regarding the use of fireworks.
- Know your fireworks; read the cautionary labels and performance descriptions before igniting.
- Adults are responsible for all firework activities; children should never handle fireworks.
- Keep fireworks away from small children.
- Light one firework at a time and then quickly move away.
- Use fireworks outdoors in a clear area, away from buildings and vehicles.
- Never relight a “dud” firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
- Always have a bucket of water and charged water hose nearby.
- Never carry fireworks in pockets or shoot them from glass or metal containers.
- Do not experiment with homemade fireworks.
- Never light fireworks while impaired.