John Mitchell Nicholas, 31, of Lafayette was indicted by a grand jury Wednesday on the following charges:
- Second degree murder — one count
- Attempted first degree murder — five counts
- Possession of firearm by convicted felon — one count
- Domestic abuse battery (child present) — one count
- Battery of a dating partner (child endangerment) — one count
- False imprisonment armed with a dangerous weapon — one count
An indictment means that a grand jury composed of residents chosen at random believed there was enough evidence to charge that person with a crime.
Kaci was killed, two Lafayette Police officers sustained serious injuries and two other victims were hospitalized in the shooting at the 100 block of S. General Marshall Street Aug. 5.
In the indictment, Kaci, Mary Prejean, officer Halli Bradford, officer Raynard Ford and officer Alan Cortez were named as victims of attempted murder.
- Every state’s favorite Christmas song – and the 10 most-hated: study
- LA Wallet’s new feature gives Louisiana residents access to vehicle information
- Louisiana resignations ranked 2nd fastest rate in the nation, study reveals
- A classic scene from ‘Elf’ was almost scrapped at the request of Macy’s, according to the director
- Real or artificial? How to choose the most sustainable Christmas tree, no matter what it’s made of