LAFAYETTE PARISH, La. (KLFY) — A family has lost all of their possessions after their home caught fire Wednesday night.
At approximately 6:54 p.m. Wednesday night, first responders got a report of a residential fire in the area of Stutes Road in Lafayette Parish.
The family was able to get out of the home safely without any injuries during the fire, which reportedly started while the family were cooking dinner.
The home owner, Shantija Francis, said they “lost everything” in the fire.
“Our family car burnt down with it, it’s just ashes,” Francis said. “I lost a baby earlier this year, her ashes were in there. My husband’s baby books. My daughter has just beat cancer, she has medication that was in there that burned down so we are going to have to figure out how to get all of that. All of our personal documents, license, documents, all of it is gone. It’s literally ashes.”
Francis said that despite losing everything, she’s thankful her family is safe.
“I was very hurt because we just bought this home this year, so I was very hurt but I also realized with the help of my family that these are all just things,” she said. “Me, my husband, and my kids are all out, and that means the world to me.”
The family has set up a GoFundMe to potentially help them rebuild and move on.
- 5 takeaways from the latest indictment of Hunter Biden
- UPenn president Magill resigns in wake of antisemitism controversy
- Police looking for two suspects involved in Lafayette officer-involved shooting
- Florida school district adding 4-day weekends to combat chronic absences
- STM defeats LCA, 35-21, for back-to-back state championships