LAFAYETTE, La. (KLFY) — A Lafayette man is under arrest in connection with a Saturday morning shooting that left one child dead and several others injured, including two Lafayette police officers, authorities said.
John Nicholas, 30, of Lafayette, has been charged with the following:
- 1 count, domestic abuse battery – child endangerment (felony)
- 1 count, battery of a dating partner – child endangerment (felony)
- 1 count, false imprisonment; offender armed with dangerous weapon (felony)
- 1 count, first degree murder (felony)
- 5 counts, attempted first degree murder (felony)
- 1 count, possession of firearm by a person convicted of certain felonies (felony).
The shooting took place at a residence in the 100 block of South General Marshall Street in Lafayette as officers responded to a 911 call regarding a fight in progress. 18-month-old Kaci Cyprian was killed during the incident. Two Lafayette Police Officers along with an elderly female and a four-year-old child were also injured. The other count of attempted first degree murder involved a third officer at the scene.
The Lafayette Parish Coroner’s Office has confirmed that the cause of death of the little girl was a gunshot wound to the head.