LAFAYETTE, La. (KLFY) – Lafayette Fire Department responded to a residential fire Saturday evening.

A duplex caught on fire Saturday evening around 5:15 p.m. on the 300 block of South Pierce St.

The duplex had 5 people living on one side and one person living on the other side.

Lafayette Fire Department confirmed no one was injured in the fire.

A male from the five-person unit walked outside and noticed the fire in the adjacent unit. The occupant of the unit on fire was not home.

The one-person unit suffered major burn damage while the five-person unit has smoke and water damage.

The fire was likely caused by an improperly extinguished cigarette, officials said.