House fire started by curious child: officials urge fire safety precautions


A Sunday morning house fire on South Orange Street was accidentally started by a young child —

Alton Trahan with the Lafayette Fire Department explains that she’d woken up in the middle of the night and was looking for some kind of lighting.

He says, “The child actually went inside the kitchen where the oven was open and on because the family was using it for heat. She lit a wooden stick and went back inside of the bedroom and the flame on the wooden stick grew pretty large, so she wound up dropping it on the bedding material, which caught the bed on fire.”

Two other children as well as adults were home at the time of the fire, and thankfully they all managed to escape the flames without injury

Trahan tells News 10 it’s far too common that a child accidentally starts a fire and adds that this is a perfect example of how important it is to be extra cautious when it comes to children and open heating sources.

“Children have a tendency to be very curious with fire. They just don’t know how quickly a fire can happen by sticking something inside an open flame, be it the oven, the stove top, or even a space heater,” explains Trahan.

He says a simple way to try and avoid these potentially deadly situations overnight is to heat up your home in the hours before you go to bed and make sure everything is turned off prior to going to sleep. 

Lastly, he suggests monitoring those heat sources, even if it’s during the daytime hours when everybody is awake.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Local News

More Local

Trending Stories