LAFAYETTE, La. (KLFY) — This is a list of municipal locations offering sandbags around Acadiana as a tropical system approaches Louisiana.
This list is subject to change and is being updated with new information as it becomes available. Check back for updates.
LAFAYETTE CITY AND PARISH
- North District site at 400 Dugas Road (located off North University Avenue)
- Picard Park, 130 Park Lane
- Brown Park, 1234 E Pont des Mouton Road (opening after 12 p.m. today, Aug. 26)
- Robicheaux Recreation Center, 1919 Eraste Landry Road (opening after 12 p.m. today, Aug. 26)
Self-bagging, bring shovel and manpower. Maximum of 20 sandbags per household. Please limit sandbags to four per exterior door.
- Behind Broussard City Hall – 310 E. Main St.
- Deer Meadow Subdivision – corner of Deer Meadow Blvd. and Myette Point St.
- Broadview Dr. – by the Broussard Community Center
These sandbag stations are self-bagging and are open until the threat of heavy rain has passed. While the sand and sandbags are a free service, residents will need to supply their own shovel.
- Community Center, 5115 N. University Avenue (behind the Community Center) — Self-bagging, bring shovel and manpower
- Duson Park at South A Street (sand is on-hand, sandbags will be available after 3:30 p.m. today, Aug. 26) — Self-bagging, bring shovel and manpower
- Public Works Department, 116 Lions Club Road — Self-bagging, bring shovel and manpower
- Picard Park, 130 Park Lane
Acadia Parish barns will be open starting Friday, Aug. 27 from 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. and on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Sand and bags will be provided by the parish, but citizens will need to bring their own shovel and a helper if needed. Sandbags will be given to elderly, disabled, or any other residents who need further assistance at the parish barns. See below for parish barn locations:
- Branch Barn: 114 Bias Road, Branch
- Crowley Barn: 247 Roller Road, Crowley
- Iota Barn: 540 Kennedy Avenue, Iota
Sandbags will be available at the Crowley Public Works building, located at 220 Jack Mitchell Road Friday, Aug. 27, from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. and on Saturday, Aug. 28, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. You must be a resident of Crowley and provide a valid driver’s license when picking up the sandbags. A total of six sandbags per address will be provided.
Sandbags will be available at Section Circle directly across the canal from Veterans’ Park starting at 2 p.m. Friday.
Sandbags will be available at the Acadian Ballpark on N. Landry Dr. Shovels will not be provided, and residents should be prepared to fill their own bags. The city is asking residents to enter on Landry Dr. and exit on Halphen St. for flow of traffic. Call (337) 369-2391 for more information.
Iberia Parish President M. Larry Richard announced that sandbags are available for Iberia Parish residents at the following locations:
- B.O.M. Fire Station
- Grand Marais Fire Station
- Coteau Fire Station
- Delcambre Fire Department
- Loreauville Fire Department
- Lydia Fire Station
- Jeanerette Fire Department
Shovels will not be provided, and residents should be prepared to fill their own sandbags.
For more information, call the Iberia Parish Public Works Department at (337) 364-8474.
Jeff Davis Parish
ELTON — 1306 Main St. (Old fire station). Will need to bag own.
St. Landry Parish
After 1 p.m. today, Aug. 26, sandbags can be picked up at the Yambilee Building located at 1939 West Landry St. (U.S. 190) in Opelousas.
Sandbags available at Landon Pitre Memorial Park, 706 Main St. Bring your own shovels.
St. Martin Parish
Starting Aug. 27, the sandbag distribution locations listed below will be activated from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Please be prepared to fill your own sandbags. Also, the public is limited to 25 sandbags per vehicle. Normally, it takes only six bags to secure a door.
- Ruth Barn located at 1035 Ruth Bridge Highway
- Paul Angelle Park located at 2458 Cecilia Sr. High School Road
- South Barn located at 1011 Capritto 40 Arpent Road
- Clayton Boudreaux Memorial Park located at 1028 Catahoula Highway
- Lower St. Martin Parish at the Stephensville Park and at Belle River across the road from the Fire Station.
Residents who cannot obtain sandbags because of any sort of disability should contact the Parish’s Office of Emergency Preparedness at (337) 394-2808.
St. Mary Parish
Sandbags will be available starting Aug. 27 at the following locations:
- Public Works Hanson Barn, 10905-A La. 182 E., Garden City
- Public Works, 2717 La. 182 E., Bayou Vista
- Four Corners Fire Station
- Glencoe Fire Station
- Amelia under the La. 182 bridge
- Hebert-Washington Park, Charenton
- Berwick, under the bridge by town hall (shovels and bags provided)
Please bring your own shovel.
The City of Abbeville will have sandbags available for residents beginning Friday, August 27 through Sunday, August 29 at The Barn located at 1811 Godchaux Street. Sandbag pickup begins at 6 a.m. on all three days.
Those picking up sandbags will need to show proof of residence. A total of 15 bags are allowed per household. Any person that is disabled or elderly that can not go to the barn can have sandbags delivered by calling (337) 898-4208. For Vermilion Parish sandbag information, residents are advised to contact Homer Stelly at VPOEP (337) 898-4308.
Sand and bags are available in front of the Maurice Police Station at 115 West Corine Street. This is available to the residents of the Village of Maurice. Residents outside of the Village can obtain sand from the area for Vermilion Parish Police Jury barn located at 13531 Gladu Road, Kaplan or any other police jury barns.