On Sunday morning, the Church Point Fire Department said they responded to the 100 block of Saint Zeno Drive for a report of a house fire. Upon arrival, firefighters said they found three occupants, a father, mother and 8-year-old boy, outside of the home and reported that one child, Aaliyah Lewis, did not escape.
Authorities said the little girl’s body was discovered in the living room of the home. The fire started in the center of the home, around the living room area, according to police. While the exact cause of the fire is still under investigation, police have yet to rule out an electrical malfunction or improper use of smoking materials as possible reasons for the incident.
The mother, father and sibling were taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.
Police also did not see any working smoke alarms in the home.
Authorities are still investigating the incident, and updates will be provided as more information is released.
- Clouds Will Linger & Turning Cooler Next Week…
- Melville man dies following Avoyelles Parish crash
- USC professor banned over Hamas comments permitted to return to campus
- Road closures expected Sunday for Lafayette motorists due to Sonic Christmas Parade
- Suspect in LA homeless murders arrested; man linked to other homicide