AC unit caused fire that destroyed mobile home


A mobile home was destroyed Monday morning in Scott due to a faulty air conditioning unit, authorities said.

Just after 9 a.m., the Scott Fire Department was called to the 1300 block of Roper Drive in the Cypress Mobile Home Park.

Upon arrival, firefighters observed heavy flames coming from the mobile home.

Neighboring manufactured homes received damage as well, the department said.

“Firefighters quickly made entry into the structure to find heavy fire in the living room area, which was quickly brought under control,” Chief Chad Sonnier said.

An investigation indicated the fire was accidental, started by an electrical short in the living room area.

The outlet where the fire originated had a window air conditioner unit plugged into it.

In the past month, Scott Fire Department has extinguished two residential fires as a result of a window unit overloading a circuit.

“We would like to remind everyone, with the extreme heat, if you are using window air conditioner units, please do not overload the circuit by plugging additional electrical items (especially power strips) into the same circuit,” Sonnier said.

No one was home at the time of the fire

No one was injured as a result of the incident.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Local News

More Local

Trending Stories