(KLFY) — To date, 54 homicides have been reported across the Acadiana area by local law enforcement agencies in 2023.
Below is an interactive map showing the approximate locations of each reported homicide. (NOTE: Locations are not exact.) The map does not represent shootings or incidents that only resulted in injuries and/or property damages. The information used to create the map has been verified and reported by the police and/or sheriff’s offices of the respective parishes in which they occurred.
This map only includes the KLFY broadcast coverage area, which includes Lafayette, Acadia, Evangeline, Iberia, Jeff Davis, St. Landry, St. Martin, St. Mary and Vermilion parishes.
This map will be updated throughout 2023. If you have information on a shooting or a homicide, send a tip to email@example.com — and most importantly, call your local law enforcement agency.
Click on the icons below for details on each homicide. A running list of verified homicide victims can be found below the map.
Basic statistics so far:
- Gun murders: 48
- Stabbing murders: 1
- Hit-and-run homicides: 4
- DWI-related vehicular homicide: 1
- Persons age 18 or under killed: 3
- Double homicides: 0
- Homicides as part of a mass shooting: 0
- Officer-involved shootings: 0
Cities/areas with the most homicides
- Lafayette: 19
- Opelousas: 10
- New Iberia: 6
- Eunice: 4
- Ville Platte: 4
- Youngsville: 3
- Breaux Bridge: 2
- Crowley: 2
- Duson: 2
- Church Point: 1
- Grand Coteau: 1
- Henderson: 1
- Jennings: 1
- Lake Arthur: 1
- St. Martinville: 1
- Sunset: 1
- Abbeville: 0
- Bayou Vista: 0
- Broussard: 0
- Carencro: 0
- Cecilia: 0
- Chataignier: 0
- Franklin: 0
- Jeanerette: 0
- Maurice: 0
- Melville: 0
- Morgan City: 0
- Rayne: 0
- Scott: 0
Listings in RED indicate a person aged 18 or under.
January — 8 homicides
- Jan. 7 — Unidentified juvenile was shot multiple times on the 600 block of Park Ave. in New Iberia.
- Jan. 7 — Dustin Joseph Johnson, 41 of Arnaudville was found dead on E. Milton Avenue in Youngsville, the victim of alleged hit-and-run.
- Jan. 9 — Allen J. Vincent, 60 of Gueydan was hit head-on while riding a bicycle on La. 717 near Ellie Benoit Road in Vermilion Parish.
- Jan. 10 — Johnathan Simien, 38 of Opelousas, was found dead after gunshots were reported in the area.
- Jan. 10 — Megan Goins, 30, the victim of an apparent gunshot wound was found dead in the 200 block of Stagecoach Road, Duson.
- Jan. 10 — Unidentified juvenile was shot near the eastern entrance of the Westwood Subdivision of Crowley.
- Jan. 16 — Kiara Vallian, 29, of Opelousas, was shot multiple times in a drive-by shooting in the 200 block of Elementary Lane in Opelousas, directly across the street from Opelousas Junior High School.
- Jan. 22 — Zaveon Willis, 20, of Lafayette was found with multiple gunshot wounds.
February — 4 homicides
- Feb. 19 — Ashton Money, 19, of Broussard, was found shot to death in a home the 3400 block of General Patton St. near Youngsville in Iberia Parish.
- Feb. 20 — Lafayette Police discovered Jatravian Chevelier, 20, of St. Martin Parish suffering from multiple gunshot wounds inside a vehicle in a parking lot at 1111 Mudd Ave.
- Feb. 27 — Jamacan Malveaux, 27 of Eunice was found shot dead in a vehicle.
- Feb. 28 — Harrison Bordenave, 34, of Opelousas, was shot to death after an altercation at a local gym.
March — 6 homicides
- March 13 — Denferd Puckett, 35, of Duson, was killed after being hit by a vehicle.
- March 14 — Body of Devonte Colar, 29, of New Iberia was found on 1600 block of Prairie Hwy. in Breaux Bridge.
- March 15 — Xavier Bryant, 22, of Opelousas was shot and killed in the 800 block of Jerome Loop, Opelousas.
- March 20 — Carl Vigers, 40, was shot and killed when he was standing outside of an apartment near South Bulah Street and East Maple Avenue in Eunice.
- March 23 — Christopher Jones, 19, of St. Martinville was shot and killed near Porter Street and Martin Luther King Jr. Drive.
- March 27 — An unidentified man was found shot dead in the street near Franklin and Union Streets in Opelousas.
April — 5 homicides
- April 6 — Police found Jeddimyer K. Vallare, 32, with fatal gunshot wounds in the 900 block of W. Walnut Avenue in Eunice.
- April 10 — Kentrevon Gallien, 23, of Lafayette, was shot and killed in the 200 block of Sophie Street.
- April 24 — Jawaski Thomas was found with a single gunshot to his back at 621 E Gen. Beauregard St. in Ville Platte.
- April 29 — Raylon Mason, 22, of St. Martinville was found shot to death in the 900 block of E. Simcoe Street in Lafayette.
- April 30 — Unidentified juvenile was killed in drive-by shooting at West University Avenue & West Congress Street in Lafayette.
May — 2 homicides
- May 1 — Jeremiah Wood, 45, of New Iberia was killed on his bicycle in a hit-and-run in the 1700 block of Center Street in New Iberia.
- May 3 — Rasheed Carmouche, 26, of Lafayette was shot and killed in the 2700 block of E. Simcoe Street in Lafayette.
June — 7 homicides
- June 2 — Unidentified man was shot and killed on Chatagnier Street in Ville Platte.
- June 14 — Semaj Wells, 21, was found in the 1000 block of South Corinne Street in New Iberia with multiple gunshot wounds.
- June 19 — Delridge Isaiah Robinson, 27, was found with a gunshot wound to the head near the Acadian Medical Center just outside the Eunice city limits.
- June 19 — Denzel Smith 21, of Lafayette and Codie Laday 22, of Lafayette were found shot in the 100 block of S. Orleans Drive in Lafayette.
- June 26 — Wilson Marshall, 64, of Lafayette was found stabbed to death in a residence in the 300 block of E. Simcoe Street.
- June 26 — Roderick Jones, Jr., 15, was found shot at North City Park in Opelousas.
July — 7 homicides
- July 2 — Tylon Washington, 18, was found shot to death on the property of Kathy Apartments in Crowley.
- July 5 — Deontrae Edwards, 25, was found shot dead at the Cyrus Homes in Jennings.
- July 5 — Kvon O’Neil, 20, of Lafayette was shot and killed in the 500 block of W. Gilman Road in Lafayette.
- July 9 — Joshua Cobb, 18, of Abbeville, was found shot to death in the 100 block of Vaucluse Drive in Lafayette.
- July 15 — Cleveland Stiner, 62 of Lafayette, was shot multiple times outside of his residence in the 100 block of Railroad Street.
- July 16 — Malik A. White, 21, of Opelousas was shot and killed inside a vehicle near Scattered Acres Road and I-49 South in St. Landry Parish.
- July 25 — Ernest Bernard, 34, of Lafayette was shot and killed in the Southern Comfort Inn and Suites in New Iberia.
August — 4 homicides
- Aug. 1 — Deputy Marshall Barry Giglio was shot and killed while executing a search warrant in the 100 block of W. Beauregard Street in Ville Platte.
- Aug. 15 — Kelon Shemar Thomas, 23, of Opelousas was found shot to death in the ditch on 1200 block of Edward Knotoe Thomas Junior Street in Ville Platte.
- Aug. 19 — Drapper Anthony, 44, of Lafayette was found shot to death in the 900 block of Orange Grove Drive in New Iberia.
- Aug. 22 — Deniro Broussard, 18, of Lafayette, was killed while walking with a relative in the 100 block of Shirley Picard Road in Lafayette.
September — 1 homicide
- Sept. 2 — Unidentified infant died at Lafayette hospital, 18-year-old caregiver charged with first-degree murder.
October — 8 homicides
- Oct. 1 — Unidentified man was killed in a shooting in the 1400 block of Plaisance Street in Opelousas.
- Oct. 1 — Shamar Sheppard, 20, of New Iberia, was shot and killed trying to stop a group of men from stealing his car at a convenience store in the 1400 block of Iberia Street.
- Oct. 7 — Devin McZeal was shot and killed at a block party in the 500 block of Hellen Street in Lafayette.
- Oct. 13 — James Nelson Derouen, 59, was allegedly shot by his brother during an argument in the 6000 block of Coteau Road in Iberia Parish.
- Oct. 15 — Crystal Dogay, 39, of Rayne was traveling on a bicycle when she was struck and killed by a vehicle in the 1000 block of Toby Mouton Road in Duson.
- Oct. 21 — Andrew Wilson, 26, was shot and killed near the intersection of Overton Street and Martel Lane in Opelousas.
- Oct. 29 — Nathan Bob was shot and killed in the 500 block of Orchard Drive in Lafayette.
- Oct. 31 — Percy James Rochester Jr., 39, of Lafayette, was shot and killed near the intersection of North University Avenue and West Willow Street in Lafayette.
- Nov. 1 — Kalin Cormier was shot and killed at a truck stop in the 2900 block of Grand Point in Henderson.
- Nov. 6 — Tim Ledee was shot and killed on Lee Garland Drive in Opelousas.
- Nov. 6 — Tiffany Miller was killed in Sunset by her boyfriend, Joshua Alfred, in a murder-suicide.
- Nov. 7 — Sidney Marcel was shot and killed at a gas station in Grand Coteau.
- Nov. 22 — Kenneth Johnson, 30 of St. Martinville, was shot and killed at the Plantation Inn in Lafayette.
- Nov. 22 — Daryl Marcus Lewis, 35, was shot and killed in the 600 Block of Martin Luther King Drive in Church Point.
- Nov. 24 — Nancy Herrick, 39, of St. Martinville, was shot and killed at the Plantation Inn in Lafayette.