UPDATE: Dean O’s South location closed for next month after fire

Lafayette Parish

LAFAYETTE, La. (KLFY) — State Fire Marshals are investigating a fire at the Dean O’s South location on Kaliste Saloom Rd.

Lafayette Fire Department Public Information Officer Alton Trahan said Lafayette Police noticed smoke coming from the restaurant after responding to an alarm activation. The business was closed and no employees were present.

“Emergency crews forced entry into the restaurant and discovered the fire in a bathroom located near the kitchen,” said Trahan. “The fire was spreading in the void space above the suspended ceiling. Firefighters were able to bring the fire under control within 20 minutes. The majority of the damage was isolated to the bathroom, kitchen, and ceiling area. The seating area only sustained smoke damage.”

Lafayette Fire Department investigators determined that the fire originated in a trash can in the bathroom. It was discovered that employees with a janitorial company were the last ones to leave the restaurant. One of the employees accidentally discarded smoldering material in the trash can. 

The cause of the fire was ruled an accident.

Owner Tim Metcalf said he expects the restaurant should be closed for about a month as repairs commence. Metcalf said he’s already working with a contractor and his insurance company to quickly get the restaurant back open.

No injuries were reported.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Local News

More Local

Trending Stories

Sidebar