NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) — There’s no atmosphere quite like the city of New Orleans when the ESSENCE Festival of Culture comes to town, and now we know who is headlining the event this summer, including another artist who was added to the lineup this week.
Honoring the 50th anniversary of hip-hop, festival organizers announced on Tuesday that ESSENCE would feature the many faces of the genre. This year’s event will feature the festival’s first-ever all-women lineup, featuring, Lauryn Hill, Megan Thee Stallion, and most recently-added Missy Elliott. Other acts include hip-hop legends Doug E Fresh and Jermaine Dupri.
The event will honor the anniversaries of some of the hip-hop pioneers who have paved the way for other artists. Hill’s performance will recognize 25 years since her album “The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill” hit shelves, going on to win five Grammy awards.
Dupri is also celebrating a big anniversary — 30 years since his Atlanta-based record label So So Def opened its doors, giving us a long list of artists who have gone on to shatter barriers in the music industry, like Kriss Kriss Kross, Da Brat, Bow Wow, Lil Jon, Usher, Mariah Carey,
Other artists to be featured on the ESSENCE stage include:
- Nigerian singer Wizkid
- Coco Jones
- Kizz Daniels
Speaking of anniversaries, this year will mark the 29th ESSENCE Festival. This year’s event runs from June 30 to July 2. Get tickets here.
- Trump claims DOJ indictment is among most ‘horrific abuses’ of power in US history
- Man killed in fatal collision on I-10
- Your Old Fashioned won’t be the same in Wisconsin: Here’s why
- Man dies during honeymoon in Hawaii, thief steals backpack and rental car during resuscitation attempts
- ‘Our goal is to spread literature’: Florida couple sells banned books at new book store