90 Plus: Brother and sister reflect on more than 90 years of their lives

Renee Allen's 90 Plus

Lois Laville is 93-years-old and Vance Theriot is 96. “One time we missed the train in Lafayette and he had to drive me to the next stop,” Laville said.

They’re not just next door neighbors. They’re brother and sister. “We reminisce and ask each other what did our mother say at that time,” Laville explained.

They both got married and had careers. Lois went into nursing and was the one who had children. “I went to anesthesia school after I got my bachelor of science.”

Vance is a WWII veteran who graduated as a radio operation and pilot navigator. “I witnessed the loading of the atomic weapon that ended the war.”

After the war, Vance says he met the woman he married and shared a life with for 57 years. “At a carnival dance by chance we met there,” Theriot added.

It was by chance that Lois met her husband as well. She says her friend had a brother she wanted Lois to check on. He worked at Texaco and she at a charity hospital. “A friend told me to look him up to make sure he was behaving,” Laville said.

Meanwhile, Vance has another connection to St. Martin Parish. He’s a former mayor of Breaux Bridge. “Elected city alderman for 12 years and mayor of Breaux Bridge for two terms.”

Life is strange how it comes full circle as it has for this brother and sister. “When I give her a present she says to my favorite brother and when I give her one I say to my favorite sister,” Theriot noted.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Overcast

Abbeville

47°F Overcast Feels like 41°
Wind
15 mph N
Humidity
84%
Sunrise
Sunset

Tonight

Mostly cloudy with rain ending overnight. Low around 40F. Winds NNE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 70%.
41°F Mostly cloudy with rain ending overnight. Low around 40F. Winds NNE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 70%.
Wind
12 mph NNE
Precip
40%
Sunset
Moon Phase
Waxing Gibbous
Overcast

Crowley

44°F Overcast Feels like 38°
Wind
13 mph NNE
Humidity
91%
Sunrise
Sunset

Tonight

Cloudy with light rain this evening. Low 39F. Winds NNE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 80%.
41°F Cloudy with light rain this evening. Low 39F. Winds NNE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 80%.
Wind
12 mph NNE
Precip
40%
Sunset
Moon Phase
Waxing Gibbous
Overcast

Opelousas

43°F Overcast Feels like 36°
Wind
13 mph NNE
Humidity
92%
Sunrise
Sunset

Tonight

Cloudy with occasional rain...mainly this evening. Low 38F. Winds NNE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 100%.
41°F Cloudy with occasional rain...mainly this evening. Low 38F. Winds NNE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 100%.
Wind
12 mph NNE
Precip
40%
Sunset
Moon Phase
Waxing Gibbous
Overcast

Breaux Bridge

46°F Overcast Feels like 39°
Wind
16 mph NNE
Humidity
89%
Sunrise
Sunset

Tonight

Mostly cloudy with rain ending overnight. Low near 40F. Winds NNE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 80%.
41°F Mostly cloudy with rain ending overnight. Low near 40F. Winds NNE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 80%.
Wind
12 mph NNE
Precip
40%
Sunset
Moon Phase
Waxing Gibbous
Overcast

New Iberia

49°F Overcast Feels like 41°
Wind
24 mph NNE
Humidity
86%
Sunrise
Sunset

Tonight

Rain ending this evening. Partial clearing overnight. Low 32F. Winds NNE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 90%.
40°F Rain ending this evening. Partial clearing overnight. Low 32F. Winds NNE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 90%.
Wind
12 mph NNE
Precip
70%
Sunset
Moon Phase
Waxing Gibbous

Local News

More Local

Sidebar

Trending Stories