Scott home fire started by lightning - KLFY News 10

Scott home fire started by lightning

Updated:
On May 28, 2014 at approximately 2 A.M., the resident at 1337 St. Mary Street, in Scott, was awakened by the activation of his smoke detector.  He opened his bedroom door to investigate the circumstances, when he was overcome by smoke, causing him to crawl to the side door, where flames were present. Once exiting the home, he ran across the street and contacted 911.  

The Scott Fire department was dispatched to his residence at 2:18 a.m. Upon arrival, heavy fire was venting through the roof of over half of the structure. Initial crews made entry into the home in an effort to extinguish the fire, however, after several minutes the structure collapsed.  

An investigation of the incident revealed, several severe cloud to ground lighting strikes in the area at 1:30 in the morning. The fire began in the wall, as a result of a direct lighting strike, or a power surge from a nearby strike.  

As a result of a working smoke detector, there were no injuries from the incident.  

SFD officials would like to emphasize the importance of at least one working detector in the home. This will drastically increase your survival chances during a fire incident.

Units from Duson, Judice and Lafayette responded to assist. 

Powered by WorldNow

1808 Eraste Landry Rd, PO Box 90665,
Lafayette LA 70509

Telephone: 337.981.4823
Fax: 337.984.8323
Email: tip10@klfy.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Louisiana, Inc. A Media General Company.