?Lafayette City-Parish was recognized with an Honorable Mention as a Bicycle Friendly Community from the League of American Bicyclists.
The Bicycle Friendly Community? (BFC?) program provides a roadmap to improve conditions for bicycling and guidance to help make a community's vision for a better, bikeable community a reality. The Honorable Mention acknowledges the efforts the community of Lafayette has made to become more hospitable to bicyclists. Applicant communities are judged in five categories: engineering, education, encouragement, enforcement, and evaluation & planning.
The application was filed by Monique Koll of BikeLafayette with the assistance of the Lafayette Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO). Projects and programs that contributed to the Honorable Mention designation, which were implemented by Lafayette Consolidated Government, the Lafayette Metropolitan Planning Organization, and the University of Louisiana at Lafayette with support from Bike Lafayette and T.R.A.I.L., include:
· -Lafayette MPO Resolution No. R-002-2013, a goal of spending 10% of Urban Systems funding for bicycle and pedestrian improvements
· FestiVELO de Lafayette, Lafayette's first bicycle festival
· St. Mary Boulevard bicycle lanes
· Atakapa-Ishak Trail Phase II, a bicycle and pedestrian underpass providing access across Highway 90 and linking Beaver Park to Vermilionville and the Jean Lafitte Acadian Cultural Center
· Share the Road signage along popular rural bicycle routes in northeast Lafayette Parish
"We congratulate Bike Lafayette and thank them for their work to help Lafayette achieve this designation. Throughout the comprehensive planning process, we have heard a lot from community members who want Lafayette to be more bike-friendly, and recognitions like this one help build the reputation of cycling in our community," said City-Parish President Joey Durel.
1808 Eraste Landry Rd, PO Box 90665,
Lafayette LA 70509