Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat - KLFY News 10

Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat

Posted: Updated:

Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat

Your dog may be eager to eat "people food" from your dinner table or finish leftovers after a meal. It's safe to share certain foods with your dog. But some common foods and drinks can be harmful or even deadly for dogs.

Don't share these items:

Alcohol

Even small amounts of alcohol can be dangerous for your dog. At parties and other events where alcohol is flowing, place open drinks where your dog can't reach them.

Keep household items that contain alcohol, such as mouthwash, in a safe place.

Alcohol can be found in other surprising places. Dogs have gotten into trouble eating rotten apples, which can produce alcohol when they go bad.

Symptoms of alcohol poisoning in dogs include:

  • Vomiting
  • Excited behavior
  • Clumsy movements
  • Lack of energy

Avocados

Avocados and their leaves contain a toxin called persin. It can be harmful to dogs and many other pets.

Avocado poisoning in dogs can cause symptoms such as:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Trouble breathing

Bones

Keep bones from chicken, roasts, and other meats away from your dog. He can choke while eating bones.

Also, bones can break into sharp pieces that may cause bleeding and infection inside your dog.

Bread Dough

Yeast dough can be harmful to dogs for several reasons.

After a dog eats dough, it can produce gas. This can cause the stomach to become twisted or even torn.

The rising dough also produces alcohol, which dogs should avoid.

If your dog has eaten bread dough, he may have these symptoms:

  • Swollen belly
  • Abdominal pain

You'll know your dog has abdominal pain if he has symptoms such as:

  • Doesn't want to lie down
  • Stretches front legs out with chest down and rear up
  • Yelps when abdomen is touched
  • Doesn't want to eat

Caffeinated Drinks

While caffeine may give you a sense of wakefulness and energy, it's toxic to your dog.

Keep these items away from him:

  • Coffee or coffee grounds
  • Tea
  • Soda
  • Energy drinks
  • Tablets containing caffeine

If your dog has caffeine poisoning he may have these symptoms:

  • Hyperactive behavior
  • Panting
  • Clumsiness
  • Muscle quivers

Chocolate

Chocolate contains caffeine and a related chemical called theobromine that is also harmful to dogs.

Darker chocolates, including cocoa powder, contain more theobromine per ounce than milk chocolate. Eating just a half-ounce of baking chocolate could be deadly for a 5-pound dog.

Symptoms from eating a small amount of chocolate include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea

If your dog eats larger amounts it can also lead to:

  • Hyperactivity
  • Tremors and seizures
  • Irregular heartbeat

Garlic and Onions

Garlic and onions contain a chemical that breaks down into a substance that damages the red blood cells of dogs. A 10-pound dog could die from eating just half an onion.

Other ingredients, such as onion powder or juice, can also be harmful.

Symptoms after eating these foods can include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Drooling

More symptoms may begin days later, such as:

  • Stumbling
  • Lack of interest in eating
  • Dark urine

Grapes and Raisins

Grapes, and the raisins made from them, can cause kidney failure in dogs.

This doesn't affect every dog that eats grapes or raisins. Experts still aren't sure which ingredient in the fruit may cause this problem.

The most common symptom is vomiting. Early signs of kidney failure can include drinking more and urinating more. Later symptoms of kidney failure include pain in the belly and less urine.

Macadamia Nuts

These pale, round nuts can be harmful to dogs. Experts don't know which ingredient is to blame.

The symptoms of macadamia nut poisoning often begin with:

  • Weakness
  • Vomiting
  • Stumbling
  • Shaking
  • Fever

Xylitol

This is used as a sweetener in gum, candy, many other foods and drinks, and toothpaste.

Fruits, vegetables, and mushrooms also contain small amounts of xylitol.

In dogs, this ingredient can cause insulin, a hormone, to soar. This causes their blood sugar to drop steeply. Xylitol can also cause liver damage.

Dogs often vomit after they eat or drink xylitol.

Other symptoms include:

  • Weakness
  • Clumsiness
  • Seizures

From WebMD Pets

Powered by WorldNow

1808 Eraste Landry Rd, PO Box 90665,
Lafayette LA 70509

Telephone: 337.981.4823
Fax: 337.984.8323
Email: tip10@klfy.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Louisiana, Inc. A Media General Company.