CUPERTINO, Calif. (AP) -- Passcodes are such a pain that I've relaxed the security settings on my Android phone. I'm willing to forgo the extra safety, just so I'm asked to punch in the code less often.More >>
The 5S offers a fingerprint sensor, a better camera and a faster processor, while the iPhone 5C is largely last year's iPhone 5 with a plastic back and a choice of five colors.More >>
CHICAGO (AP) -- Almost 1 in 10 U.S. high school seniors have engaged in recent extreme binge drinking - downing at least 10 drinks at a rate that barely budged over six years, according to a government-fundedMore >>
Almost 1 in 10 U.S. high school seniors have engaged in recent extreme binge drinking - downing at least 10 drinks at a rate that barely budged over six years.More >>
NEW YORK (AP) -- AMC is keeping "Mad Men" around an extra year, expanding the final season of this acclaimed drama series to 14 episodes and portioning them equally in 2014 and 2015. The network said TuesdayMore >>
AMC is keeping "Mad Men" around an extra year, expanding the final season of this acclaimed drama series to 14 episodes and portioning them equally in 2014 and 2015.More >>
CUPERTINO, Calif. (AP) -- Apart from new colors, the exterior of Apple's new iPhones doesn't look much different from last year's model. The iPhone 5S is identical to the iPhone 5 in size and weight, while the iPhone 5C is only slightly bigger and heavier. The 5C also uses plastic instead of aluminum and glass.
Where the phones differ most is on the inside. The 5S has a faster chip, a fingerprint sensor and a better camera, and both new models are compatible with a greater range of 4G LTE frequency bands. Both phones also come with the new iOS 7 operating system, a major departure in style and functionality from the iOS 6 that came installed on the iPhone 5.
Here's a closer look at how features in the three phones compare:
- Only the iPhone 5S has a fingerprint sensor. The home button of the 5S recognizes your prints and can use that instead of a four-digit passcode to unlock the phone.
- The main camera on the 5S is better at picking up light, which is useful for night and indoor shots. Although all three phones have 8-megapixel cameras, individual pixels on the 5S are larger, and the camera's shutter can open wider. Combined, Apple says that translates to a 33 percent improvement in light sensitivity.
- The flash on the 5S is better, too. Unlike other cameras, iPhones or otherwise, the flash on the 5S shoots two different lights at once - one whitish and the other amber. The iPhone adjusts the combination automatically to account for ambient lighting conditions. That results in better skin tones and more natural colors, as the normal flash sometimes overpowers whatever light is naturally there.
- The front-facing camera on both the 5C and the 5S are better. Although the cameras remain at 1.2 megapixels, the pixel sizes on both are larger.
- The 5S can shoot slow-motion video and take up to 10 photos per second. The 5 and the 5C can't do slow motion. The 5C does allow for continuous shooting, but only at about 2.5 shots per second.
- The A7 processor used in the 5S is faster than the A6 found in the 5 and the 5C. Apps and Web pages typically open a blink of an eye faster. The 5S boots about five seconds faster than the 5C.
- The A7 on the 5S can handle data more efficiently with a 64-bit format, akin to what's found on desktop computers, rather than the 32 bits traditionally used in phones. Games and other graphic-intensive apps can take advantage of this. The 5S also has a companion processor, called M7, for motion-related tasks. That allows for fitness apps to run without draining as much battery. Apps taking advantage of either of these improvements are still being developed, though.
- The 5S and the 5C are compatible with more 4G LTE frequency bands - up to 13, instead of a maximum five before. That means the phone is more likely to work with higher speeds wherever you go. However, there are more than 40 cellular bands worldwide, the bulk for LTE, so a version bought in one country might not work for high speeds everywhere around the world. If that happens, you'll need to use the slower 3G and GSM networks.
- Both the 5C and the 5S come with iOS 7, which offers a new look to icons along with new features such as a Control Center for easy access to frequently used settings and apps. Older phones can be upgraded to iOS 7 for free, starting Wednesday, although Apple says some features won't work with all models.
- The 5S comes in a choice of silver, gold or gray, while the 5C is available in green, blue, yellow, pink or white. On the 5C, the background wallpaper on the screen matches the color chosen. If sunny yellow for the yellow model gets annoying, you can change it to Apple's standard wallpaper, or any photo of your choosing. Or spend $100 more for the 5S and the normal wallpaper that comes with it.
Crowley police are investigating a vehicle burglary that occurred at Southwind Nursing and Rehabilitation, located in the 800 block of the Crowley Rayne Hwy. on March 2. Unknown suspect(s) made entryMore >>
Crowley police are investigating a vehicle burglary that occurred at Southwind Nursing and Rehabilitation, located in the 800 block of the Crowley Rayne Highway. More >>
Iberia Parish Sheriff deputies issued a warrant for Michael Augustine for second degree murder in connection to the fatal shooting in New Iberia. Authorities were called to a shooting at Sam and Ann Streets.More >>
Iberia Parish Sheriff deputies issued a warrant for Michael Augustine for second degree murder in connection to the fatal shooting in New Iberia.More >>
On March 10, 2014, Kaysie Miskell and Jason Leblanc were both arrested by the St. Landry Parish Sheriff's Office Narcotics Detectives. According to St. Landry Parish Sheriff Bobby J. Guidroz, "Our NarcoticMore >>
Two people have been arrested for selling crystal meth from their residence in Port Barre.More >>
5:06 AM, Monday, December 31, 2012 From Meteorologist Ben Legg in the Live Doppler 10 Weather Center: SYNOPSIS - Clouds build in for us as rain chances are back in the forecast. South winds help toMore >>
We're tracking a cold front that will move into Acadiana around daybreak, opening the door to some much cooler air for mid- to late-week. Highs will only reach the mid 60s Wednesday with gusty north winds, followed by lows in the upper 30s Thursday. We'll barely top 60° Thursday, before a warm-up kicks in for Friday and Saturday.More >>
On March 8, 2014 at approximately 6:15 p.m. the LVMPD Dispatch Center received a 911 call from a woman reporting her child had drowned in their residence located in the 7800 block of Clarkdale Drive. ArrivingMore >>
A Las Vegas woman has been charged with murder after her child was discovered dead in a bathtub.More >>
On Sunday March 09, 2014 at approximately 0325 hours Broussard Police personnel witnessed a hit and run that occurred at the intersection of US Hwy 90 and La Hwy 92 (Young St) and by the time the officerMore >>
Broussard Police investigate fatal crash that left two people dead; alcohol is considered to be a factor.More >>
NEW ORLEANS (AP) - Rapper Lil Boosie says serving prison time in a Louisiana prison was life changing and it's made him a better person and ultimately, he hopes, a better artist. Lil Boosie, whose realMore >>
Rapper Lil Boosie says serving prison time in a Louisiana prison was life changing and it's made him a better person and ultimately, he hopes, a better artist.More >>
An accident near Highway 14 and Highway 90 resulted in a vehicle catching fire. Authorities say a Ford F-150 pickup was heading east toward Delcambre when it ran a red light and hit a two door HondaMore >>
An accident near Highway 14 and Highway 90 resulted in a vehicle catching fire.
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) -- In an age when people assume that any bit of information is just a click away, the thought that a jetliner could simply disappear over the ocean for more than two days isMore >>
In an age when people assume that any bit of information is just a click away, the thought that a jetliner could simply disappear over the ocean for more than two days is staggering.More >>