Lafayette Council to hear public input on budget - KLFY News 10

Lafayette Council to hear public input on budget

Posted: Updated:
  • Also on the webMore>>

  • Sinkhole poses no new threat

    Sinkhole poses no new threat

    BAYOU CORNE, La. (AP) - A new video showing trees being swallowed by the sinkhole in Assumption Parish has brought nationwide attention to the issue. Though the video has brought attention to the hole,More >>
    A new video showing trees being swallowed by the sinkhole in Assumption Parish has brought nationwide attention to the issue.More >>
  • Lafayette board defers charter school votes

    Lafayette board defers charter school votes

    LAFAYETTE, La. (AP) - The Lafayette Parish School Board has deferred a decision on charter school applications from two separate nonprofit groups for more time to review its options. The Advocate reportsMore >>
    The Lafayette Parish School Board has deferred a decision on charter school applications from two separate nonprofit groups for more time to review its options.More >>

Millions of dollars sits in the hands of nine council members; all with the power to make a decision on a spending plan that will determine how Lafayette Consolidated Government functions in the next year. "How do they want their police department to operate? What level of fire protection they want? What type of recreational facilities they want?," explains councilman Kenneth Boudreaux.

Boudreaux is the Finance Chair. Boudreaux has had his hands in the budget process for the past several years. He knows there's only so much money to go around.

"If you're going after nine council members and a parish president as oppose to the 250 plus thousand people in the parish, you're just hitting and missing at times."

"When we're spending money on something and they say why did you all keep this a secret from us? Obviously, it was never a secret. It was just nobody was paying attention," says Consolidated President Joey Durel.

Durel explains that he would rather hear from the public before the budget is adopted next month. Durel says 95% of the budget is the same from year to year. The other 5% includes adjustments that if not supported - could fall by the wayside. "It's important for the public to pay attention, because if they really don't like a particular aspect of the budget it's much easier to make that point. They might make a really good point on something we never heard, says Durel.

The public input hearing will be held in council chambers on August 29 at 5:30 p.m.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Wanted : Brandi Comeaux

    Wanted : Brandi Comeaux

    A Lafayette woman is sought by police for refusing to provide medical attention for a juvenile who sustained a broken jaw during an altercation after she allegedly provided alcohol to a group of minors.More >>
    A Lafayette woman is sought by police for refusing to provide medical attention for a juvenile who sustained a broken jaw during an altercation after she allegedly provided alcohol to a group of minors.More >>
  • 16-year-old girl stabs another 65 times after nude photos posted on Facebook

    16-year-old girl stabs another 65 times after nude photos posted on Facebook

    Wednesday, April 2 2014 3:29 PM EDT2014-04-02 19:29:36 GMT
    A 16-year-old girl is accused of fatally stabbing her teen ‘best friend' in an attack spurred by nude photos of the pair together posted on social media, according to several media sources.  Anel Baez,More >>
    A 16-year-old girl is accused of fatally stabbing her teen ‘best friend' in an attack spurred by nude photos of the pair together posted on social media, according to several media sources.  Anel Baez,More >>
  • Live Doppler 10 Forecast

    Live Doppler 10 Forecast

    Happy Labor Day Acadiana!  Isolated showers and storms will fade away this evening with skies turning mostly clear overnight.  The weather wont be changing much for the short work week.  Each day should see highs in the lower 90s with partly cloudy skies along with an isolated rain chance for the afternoon hours.More >>
Powered by WorldNow

1808 Eraste Landry Rd, PO Box 90665,
Lafayette LA 70509

Telephone: 337.981.4823
Fax: 337.984.8323
Email: tip10@klfy.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Louisiana, Inc. A Media General Company.