District 26 State Sen. Jonathan Perry, (R-Kaplan), says help is on the way for Vermilion Parish and its efforts to improve streets and provide a reliable, quality water supply to residents.
Over $2.4 million in Community Development Block Grant money and over $100,000 in Community Water Enrichment Fund money is headed to the parish to assist in making these important infrastructure improvements.
"These funds will give the parish the ability to make vital improvements to our streets and our water systems," said Sen. Perry. "It will make a huge difference in the daily lives of Vermilion Parish residents and I am thrilled to be making this announcement."
The following funds are dedicated to Vermilion Parish via LCDBG:
· $275,000 is granted to Maurice to reconstruct and rehabilitate streets.
· $600,000 is granted to Abbeville to rehabilitate and reconstruct several streets in the central area of the city.
· $1.6 million is granted to the Vermilion Parish Police Jury to extend the community water system to 90 households in the parish.
The following funds are dedicated to Vermilion Parish via CWEF:
· $17,000 each to Abbeville, Delcambre, Kaplan, Erath and Maurice to make improvements and replacements in the water systems.
· $12,448 to the Southeast Water District to purchase automatic read meters.
· $2,250 to Pecan Island Water District to purchase parts for the gas chlorination system.
· $35,000 to Waterworks District No. 1 to continue the waterline extension project.