Electrical Cords Spark Lafayette House Fire - KLFY News 10

Electrical Cords Spark Lafayette House Fire

Posted:

At 3:01 a.m. on May 3, 2013, Lafayette firefighters responded to 603 Evangeline Drive to a reported house fire. When firefighters arrived, heavy flames were coming from the interior of the two-story dwelling. The majority of the fire was in the upstairs living quarters. Firefighters had the fire under control within fifteen minutes. The dwelling sustained heavy fire damage to the upstairs and is not habitable.

The occupants, Mr. Tom Nunn and his wife, Loy, were outside when firefighters arrived. They were asleep when their dogs alerted. When they awoke, the interior of the upstairs was filled with smoke. The fire was in the room where they exited. Fortunately, they escaped without any injuries. They did not have any smoke detectors.

Fire investigators determined that the fire originated in one of the rooms. The cause of the fire was electrical. The occupants utilized several surge protectors with extension cords. As result, one of the cords shorted out causing the fire.

Powered by WorldNow

1808 Eraste Landry Rd, PO Box 90665,
Lafayette LA 70509

Telephone: 337.981.4823
Fax: 337.984.8323
Email: tip10@klfy.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Louisiana, Inc. A Media General Company.