by: Jeff Schneider
LAFAYETTE, La. – The Ragin' Cajun men's tennis team notched its third straight win on Sunday afternoon taking down UT-Pan American 5-1 at Cajun Courts in a dual match.
With the win, the Cajuns (14-11) finished the season 8-1 at Cajun Courts and have won four of their last five contests.
"The team stepped up and we are now on that roll that we were looking for," assistant coach Jeff Johnson said. "You kind of knew it was going to happen with all of the tough matches we had throughout the season. It seems like we are going to be peaking at exactly the right time with conference coming up next week."
Freshman Hunter Johnson was first off defeating Victor Alves 6-2, 6-1 at the No.5 position to close out the regular season with 13 wins.
Rick de Groot finished shortly after to increase the Louisiana lead to 2-0 as he bested Ricardo Hopker in straight sets at No.1, 6-0, 6-4. The win gives de Groot a team-best 14 on the spring.
On court four, Jake Wynan became the fifth Cajun to notch double-digit wins this season as his 6-3, 6-1 victory over Felix Hasselberg moved the Ragin' Cajuns a point away from clinching.
Louisiana clinched the match at the No.2 position. Edgar Lopez vanquished Chetan Panditi 6-4, 6-2 to increase his win total to 13.
"Everyone came into this match with the right attitude," Johnson added, "We've been able to win the first set on a lot of courts all year long, but at the begging of the season we haven't really put our foot on the gas and closed out matches. Now you are seeing the guys doing just that as they are not letting up."
After the Broncs (8-16) picked up a point on court six with Joseph Bishop topping Frankie Hoar, sophomore Damian Farinola closed out the match with a gritty 7-5, 6-3 win over Sebastien Job at No.3.
"Today was a big day for Frankie and he had a tough match," Johnson mentioned. "He fought hard even though he was nervous.
"We are really looking forward to conference. We'll see what happens with the draws and take it from there."
The Cajuns return to action on Thursday in the first round of the Sun Belt Conference Championship at Cajun Courts. For info and updates on men's tennis follow the team on twitter @CajunMensTennis.
Louisiana 5, Texas-Pan American 1
1. Rick de Groot (UL) def. Ricardo Hopker (UTPA) 6-0, 6-4
2. Edgar Lopez (UL) def. Chetan Panditi (UTPA) 6-4, 6-2
3. Damian Farinola (UL) def. Sebastien Job (UTPA) 7-5, 6-3
4. Jake Wynan (UL) def. Felix Hasselberg (UTPA) 6-3, 6-1
5. Hunter Johnson (UL) def. Victor Alves (UTPA) 6-2, 6-1
6. Joseph Bishop (UTPA) def. Frankie Hoar (UL) 6-2, 6-2
1. Sebastien Job/Felix Hasselberg (UTPA) vs. Rick de Groot/Jake Wynan (UL) no result
2. Ricardo Hopker/Chetan Panditi (UTPA) vs. Hunter Johnson/Yates Johnson (UL) no result
3. Victor Alves/Joseph Bishop (UTPA) vs. Edgar Lopez/Jarred Wynan (UL) no result
Texas-Pan American 8-16
Order of finish: Singles (5,1,4,2,6,3)