Jindal's Tax Plan Hurdles - KLFY News 10

Jindal's Tax Plan Hurdles

After facing much opposition, one state lawmaker says Governor Bobby Jindal's tax package should not be considered "dead on arrival" as some have claimed.

Representative Joel Robideaux says opposition from a powerful business lobbying group and hundreds of religious leaders has created hurdles to legislative approval.

Robideaux, Chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, is sponsoring Jindal's proposal.

Jindal's plan would eliminate state income taxes, while raising sales taxes, charge sales taxes on previously untaxed services, and get rid of dozens of tax breaks.

But one state lawmaker is concerned about the impact the governor's proposal will have on Acadiana residents.

"The concerns I have is for the upper 80 percent of my people who are poor then you have the other 20 percent who are upper class. Those types of things will have to be considered if we decide to raise taxes and come to some kind of a consensus so we can better serve our community and the state of Louisiana." stated House District 44 Representative Vincent Pierre.

 

Lawmakers will consider the governor's idea in the two-month legislative session that starts next week.

Powered by WorldNow

1808 Eraste Landry Rd, PO Box 90665,
Lafayette LA 70509

Telephone: 337.981.4823
Fax: 337.984.8323
Email: tip10@klfy.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Louisiana, Inc. A Media General Company.