Lafayette firefighters continue to spray down embers at the Recycling Foundation after recyclables and three buildings on the premises caught fire early Saturday evening.
Lafayette Fire Department spokesman Alton Trahan said they are not yet sure how the fire began and cardboard is the only material burning at this point. The air as of Sunday he said is safe to breathe.
"Our hazmat crews are out there monitoring to make sure everything is safe okay we do not have any levels that are high enough to give anybody any concerns immediate concerns as far as what's burning," said Trahan
The smoke from the smoldering pieces of cardboard are also seeping into the homes of residents, which they say is causing them to cough, smelling up their clothes and keeping them indoors.
"I just got through doing lung tests at the hospital I'm pretty sure I'll have to go back in the morning I've been coughing all night long," said resident Patrick Fox.
"We are using air fresheners all the time you know trying to keep the odor down keep the windows shut, but somehow or another it starts creeping in the house," said resident David Robinson.
Brandon Shelvin who represents the smoke affected area on the Lafayette-city Parish Council says this is the second fire at the recycling center in two years and will be introducing legislation Tuesday that would bar any other recycling company from moving into Lafayette city limits.
"Not in the city of Lafayette. If they want to go out into the parish were going to put some buffer zones because in the parish it's more rural the population the homes aren't as dense," said Shelvin.