Krotz Springs- State Fire Marshal Butch Browning released information today on a mobile home fire that claimed the life of a Krotz Springs resident. At approximately 8:45 a.m. this morning, firefighters were dispatched to 795 Front St. for a residential fire. During their fire suppression efforts, it was learned the elderly resident had not escaped the blaze. After the fire was extinguished, remains believed to be that of 73 year old Floyd Mason were located inside the home near the exit door.
State Fire Marshal investigators were dispatched to assist with determining the origin and cause for the fire. Through investigation it was learned Mason was a double-amputee who used oxygen. Mason was reportedly a smoker who was known to smoke while using the oxygen. His son described him as being cold natured and said his father utilized electric space heaters for warmth. Investigators were able to confirm a space heater was located in the living room where the fire is believed to have originated and were unable to rule it out as a possible ignition source. Other accidental causes such as unsafe smoking practices and electrical malfunction have also not been ruled out as possible causes.
Investigators were unable to confirm whether the home was equipped with smoke alarms but have confirmed the victim was awake and was seen moving about prior to the fire.