LUS Sandy Crew Returns - KLFY News 10

LUS Sandy Crew Returns

Posted:

Eighteen Lafayette Utility Service employees are on their way home.  The crew was in Long Island, New York helping to restore services after Superstorm Sandy. 350,000 power outages and freezing temps, it was a long two weeks for the LUS team.  "It's different. It's a lot more dense than Lafayette in terms of population," says LUS Operations Supervisor Gregory Labbe.

LUS director Terry Huval says it's been two weeks - 16 hour days and plenty of challenges. "The other side to this is that was 40% of our staff that went there. The other 60% of the line operation had to stay here and man the fort."

LCG president Joey Durel brags about what New York had to say. "We knew they weren't from New York when they walked up to us and offered us a soft drink.  They just couldn't get over how friendly they were after working hard and in tough conditions," explains Durel.

Labbe says the cold weather and snow was a challenge. There were broken poles to restore and downed power lines. "The accommodations were rough. We had to stay in FEMA trailers, sleep in trucks, and we ended up staying at a customers house for a couple of nights."  The crew is expected back in Lafayette on Wednesday, November 14.

Powered by WorldNow

1808 Eraste Landry Rd, PO Box 90665,
Lafayette LA 70509

Telephone: 337.981.4823
Fax: 337.984.8323
Email: tip10@klfy.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Louisiana, Inc. A Media General Company.