BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) - The 42-year-old Baton Rouge man accused of calling in a bomb threat to LSU last month has pleaded innocent to a state charge.
William Bouvay Jr. entered his plea Thursday before state District Judge Lou Daniel.
Earlier this week, Bouvay pleaded not guilty in U.S. District Court to a federal charge stemming from the Sept. 17 incident.
The state charge carries a maximum prison term of 20 years, but if Bouvay is convicted of the charge, East Baton Rouge Parish Assistant District Attorney Jesse Bankston said, he will seek to have Bouvay sentenced as a habitual offender because he has two prior felony convictions.
Under the habitual offender guidelines, The Advocate reports (http://bit.ly/WZUyL4) Bouvay would face a sentence of 13 to 40 years.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) - A 42-year-old Baton Rouge man accused of calling in a bomb threat to LSU on Sept. 17 has been charged in state court.
The East Baton Rouge Parish District Attorney's Office filed a one-count bill of information Wednesday charging William Bouvay Jr. with communicating false information of a planned bombing on school property.
The felony charge carries a maximum prison term of 20 years.
District Attorney Hillar Moore said Bouvay will be arraigned on the charge Friday.
A federal grand jury in Baton Rouge indicted Bouvay on Sept. 20 on one count of willfully conveying false information concerning the attempt to destroy property by means of explosives.
If convicted, Bouvay faces up to 10 years in prison.
An arrest has been made in connection with the bomb threat that caused a complete evacuation of the LSU campus on Monday.
LSU Police, with the assistance of multiple other Law Enforcement agencies, have made an arrest in the bomb threat directed toward the LSU campus. Shortly before midnight on Sept. 18, William Bouvay Jr., 42, 8224 Skysail Avenue, Baton Rouge, La., was arrested and later booked into East Baton Rouge Parish Prison for Communicating of False Information of Planned Bombing, Louisiana Revised Statute 14:54.6.
"LSU and LSU Police Department would like extend our sincere thanks and appreciation to all Law Enforcement that assisted in the initial response and subsequent investigation. The cooperation, assistance and old fashioned police work was instrumental in a quick resolution to this incident," stated LSU Police Chief Lawrence Rabalais.
Agencies that assisted in the investigation are as follows: Louisiana State Police, East Baton Rouge Sheriff's Office, East Baton Rouge District Attorney's Office, Baton Rouge City Police, FBI, ATF and the Department of Homeland Security.
On Sept. 17 at 10:32 a.m., East Baton Rouge Parish 911 Center received a call from an unknown caller. During this call the unknown caller advised of multiple bombs on the LSU Campus and they would detonate in two hours. East Baton Rouge 911 forwarded the information to LSU Police, who then informed the university administration. Based on this information the LSU administration ordered a full evacuation of campus.
LSU Police Investigators along with assistance from other Law Enforcement agencies were able to determine that the 911 call had been made from a deactivated cell phone that could only make emergency calls. Investigators were able to determine a GPS location from which the call was made, later identified as a location on Skysail Ave. in Baton Rouge, La. The area of the call's origin was searched by investigators, through which Bouvay developed as a suspect. Bouvay voluntarily agreed to go with investigators to LSUPD for further questioning. During questioning, Bouvay admitted to having called 911 and making the bomb threat and disclosed the location of the phone that was used to make the call.