Each week, we at TV 10 hear from many of our viewers, heartbroken because their pets have either run away or been stolen.
It's happened to almost every pet owner at one time, a much loved pet wanders away or is stolen. Here are some ways to prevent this heartbreaking experience.
- Make sure your pet wears a collar, around the clock, with his current rabies tag and a personal identification tag listing your address and home phone number
- Ask your veterinarian about a tattoo or microchip to provide a positive identification
- If your pet is home alone, keep him indoors if possible, or inside a kennel (you may want to board him at your vet's office)
- When your pet is in the backyard, make sure all gates are securely locked, and make sure your pet can't dig out under your fence
- Spaying or neutering your pet will make him less inclined to wander away
To put your pet's information on our Lost and Found program, send the information to us at P.O. Box 90665, Lafayette, LA 70509, fax it to us at 981-6533 or e-mail it to Blue at firstname.lastname@example.org .