1. By the Start of Hurricane Season you should:
- Assemble your Disaster Supply Kit. These items are often scattered around your home and simply need to be brought together into one location. In certain circumstances you may need to go to a store to purchase an item to supplement your kit.
- Write out your Family Disaster Plan. Discuss the possible hazards with your family. Determine if you are in an evacuation area. Identify an out-of-town family contact.
2. When a Watch is issued you should:
- Check your Disaster Supply Kit. Make sure nothing is missing. Determine if there is anything you need to supplement your kit. Replenish your water.
- Activate your Family Disaster Plan. Protective measures should be initiated, especially those actions that require extra time (for example, securing a boat or leaving a barrier island).
3. When a Warning is issued you should:
- Ready your Disaster Supply Kit for use. If you need to evacuate, you should bring your Supply Kit with you.
- Use your Family Disaster Plan. Your family should be in the process of completing protective actions and deciding the safest location to be during the storm.